Martin Delrio: Demonology and Scholarship in the Counter-Reformation (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015)
with Clare Copeland, eds, Angels of Light? Sanctity and the Discernment of Spirits in the Early Modern Period (Leiden: Brill, 2013)
Journal Articles (peer reviewed)
- 'The Making of a Teen Wolf: Pierre de Lancre’s Confrontation with Jean Grenier (1603–10)', Folklore 130/3 (2019): 237-257.
- 'When a Female Pope Meets a Biconfessional Town: Protestantism, Catholicism, and Popular Polemics in the 1630s', Early Modern Low Countries 3/1 (2019): 1-31.
- 'On the Confessional Uses and History of Witchcraft: Thomas Stapleton’s 1594 Witchcraft Oration', Magic, Ritual, and Witchcraft 13/3 (2018): 381-407.
- ‘An Aspiring Saint and His Work: Cesare Baronio and the Success and Failure of the Annales ecclesiastici, 1588–1607’, Erudition and the Republic of Letters 2/3 (2017): 233–87.
- ‘Sacrificing Josephus to Save Philo: Cesare Baronio and the Jewish Origins of Christian Monasticism’, International Journal of the Classical Tradition 23/3 (2016): 239–45.
- ‘The Rise and Fall of Seneca Tragicus, c. 1365–1593’, The Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes LXXVII (2014): 61–85.
- ‘The Lion, the Witch, and the King: Thomas Stapleton’s Apologia pro Rege Catholico Philippo II (1592)’, English Historical Review CXXIX (2014): 19–46.
- ‘Friendship and Religion in the Republic of Letters: The Return of Justus Lipsius to Catholicism (1591)’, Renaissance Studies 27/2 (2013): 161–82.
- ‘Thinking with Montaigne: Evidence, Scepticism and Meaning in Early Modern Demonology’, French History 25/4 (2011): 427–52.
- ‘How (not) to Get Published: The Plantin Press in the 1590s’, Dutch Crossing 34/2 (2010): 99–114.
- 'The Counter Reformation’ in Philip Ford, Jan Bloemendal, and Charles Fantazzi, eds, Brill's Encyclopaedia of the Neo-Latin World 2 vols (Leiden: Brill, 2014), vol. 1, pp. 759–73 [revised online ed., 2017]. (old version)
- ‘Bodin in the Netherlands’, in Howell Lloyd, ed., The Reception of Bodin (Leiden: Brill, 2013), pp. 157–92.
- ‘Heretical Saints and Textual Discernment: The Polemical Origins of the Acta Sanctorum’, in Clare Copeland and Jan Machielsen, eds., Angels of Light? Sanctity and the Discernment of Spirits in the Early Modern Period (Leiden: Brill, 2013), pp. 103–41.
- 'Catholics', The Times Literary Supplement, 3 September 2019.
- 'Virgin Atlantic: Religious Expansion and Its Modern Parallels', The Times Literary Supplement, 28 May 2019.
- 'J'accuse', The Times Literary Supplement, 22 August 2019.
- 'Angels and Demons: The Elusive, Scholarly Jean Bodin', The Times Literary Supplement, 14 February 2018.
- 'Foul is Fair: Investigating Why Witchcraft is Back', The Times Literary Supplement, 1 November 2017.
- 'A Mother’s Trials', The Times Literary Supplement, 23 March 2016.
Selected Other Writings
- 'USS Strike: We Need an Honest Debate about Pension "Facts"', Times Higher Education Blog 8 March 2018.
- ‘A History of Early Modern Catholicism in a Single Object’, British Academy Review 26 (2015): 64–68.
- ‘Pierre De Lancre (1556–1631)’, in Luc Foisneau, ed., Dictionnaire des philosophes français du 17e siècle (Paris, 2015), pp. 984–88.
Copyright © All rights reserved | This template is made with by Colorlib